Friday 10 February 2012

Proof, if proof is needed

Quick experience I wanted to share:

Recently, I've been so lucky to have found a long lost Cousin. She lives over 100 miles away in - as good as - a different country but we keep in touch with Facebook.  Although much younger than me, she shares similar interests, hobbies and career aspirations as I do.

Earlier this week I couldn't ignore that she was struggling with a particularly bad day.  As any family member or friend I offered a shoulder and some suggestions on how she can work through that negative stuff.  I encouraged her to accept she might feel bad immediately after the event because we tend to be our own worst critic.   So step back from the situation and look at it for what it is - was it really THAT bad?  It wouldn't be hard to find and celebrate the positive parts and recognise you really are worthy in what you do.  The parts where you genuinely feel could have been improved are a golden opportunity to take action to get better and be the best at what you do.  So I encouraged her to use her own positive thinking and believe she can be as good as she wants to be.

The next day she was over the moon and left me a message "You was right... I kept positive and both performances today went AMAZING, so happy with the way I performed, wish you had the chance to see it".

I'm very proud of her as she created that positive energy herself and totally used it to her advantage.  Maybe it wouldn't have happened without the initial negative thoughts?  It certainly wouldn't have happened without her making the conscious effort to take control of it and turn it around.

This positive thinking can be pretty powerful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment