Sunday 19 February 2012

Cleansing the mind for motivation

I am extremely lucky to be a member of a gym.  I've only just returned after a 2 year break but I'm back never the less and it feels great (after the initial aches!).  

Being on the treadmill this morning gave me the opportunity to let my mind go where it needed to.  It would think about what I need to do at work and how to achieve what I want over the next few months.  It would think of my family and friendships and how I'm lucky to have them.  Sometimes it would just go blank as I stare out of the window into the sunshine looking at the birds playing in the trees.  As I keep running it jumps to consider my body's performance and how it's amazing getting to the goal I set at the beginning of the workout.  It makes me incredibly mindful and of course, gets me fit.

For me, this time is utterly essential.  It's like spring cleaning your head.  I wouldn't start the workout with any agenda, nothing specific that I had to work out or think about, I'd just let it wonder.  It knows what's needed, the things that need thinking about as it does when it goes blank.  

So trusting my mind is important, knowing that it'll be so much better for it.  It gives me that positive motivation to face the day or week ahead full on, knowing I now stand a significantly better chance of achieving what I wish to achieve.

You might find other activities do the same for you. Yoga or Pilate's, swimming, walking.  All I would say is make sure you make time in your life to do these activities you enjoy as it will benefit you in so many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment