Monday 2 January 2012

Positive Difference? My experience of a positively challenging day

So, it's the day after the day before.  How was the first Positive Upload Day for you?  Did you notice any difference?  Did you do anything differently?  Did it feel like you were making more of an effort, were you making small changes in your perspective or thought processes?  Was it more of a challenge than you thought or did you wonder what all the fuss was about?

My personal experience was this:
New Years Eve, the wife and I went out as many did to see out the old and welcome in the new year.  Working for a water company I was 'on call' so if any incidents happened relating to the clean water distribution network I would be called in to help.  So I was not drinking alcohol but still took part in the celebrations.  
It was a superb night and in terms of work was incident free - a great result!  Managed to get into bed and off to sleep at about 03:30am.  
Just after 4am my work phone rang - there was a very large 'potential' incident that needed immediate attention.  The problem was big so I was quickly up making/receiving phone calls.  If ever a positive attitude was going to be tested this was the time.  But conversely never was there such a need for positive thinking!  There was a possibility that almost 10,500 households plus businesses were at risk of loosing water supply or at best have their pressure severely reduced.  But I consciously made the effort to remain positive in attitude and focused in my efforts.
Well - you'll be glad to hear that a number of different experts came together as a team and worked hard in resolving the issue without a single customer even noticing there was so much hard work and effort going on behind the scenes.  By 3pm we could all relax... and I could catch up on a little sleep!  

It could easily have gone very wrong but it didn't.  Was that great result through the power of positive thinking?  Who knows.  There was recognition that we were 'lucky' because of certain conditions in our favour because of the day it happened.  Luck or was it positive thinking?  There are some who would argue that in thinking positively we can actually influence these types of events.  In my own experience, thinking positively really helped my to remain calm, stay focused, make confident result based decisions and get the job done.

Most importantly... I felt great about it.

Hope you can feel a positive difference in what you do too by changing a few thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment